[UFO Chicago] [inkblot@geocities.com: Re: some nki]

Sat, 26 May 2001 14:38:24 -0500

----- Forwarded message from Nate Riffe <inkblot@geocities.com> -----

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 13:30:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: Nate Riffe <inkblot@geocities.com>
To: "Peter A. Peterson II" <pedro@tastytronic.net>
Subject: Re: some nki

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Peter A. Peterson II wrote:

> Quoting Nate Riffe:
> > Yes, it is feasible.  2x PCI WiFi cards with external antena jacks,
> > old Pentium box with nothing else to do, two high-gain directional
> > antenae.  OR... 1x PCI WiFi card with external antena jack, old
> > Pentium box with nothing else to do, one high-gain omni (think 20dbi
> > and up).
>
> So the next question is, how much coverage would a box like this put
> out? What kind of range?

For regular client hardware, the range is slightly (and I mean very
slightly) better than with a retail AP.  Of course, the higher the
antenna gain, the better the range.  For relay-to-relay connectivity,
you'd get a much wider range, since they would both be sporting high-gain
antennae.

> > Let me know what you think.  And if you're going to actually build
> > one, I'd like to be there and watch/help.
>
> Well, the matchbox PC stuff (and the webserver on a credit card) are
> both really cool, as well as those embedded linux devices (complete
> linux box with normal connectors in about 4x4 inches). But when are they
> going to be available at a reasonable price? (Or are you insinuating
> that *we* build them. A-ha!)

We understand each other :-)

> I like the whole "clandestinely placed
> devices" idea, but that's a big investment just waiting to be stolen.

I was thinking putting a big loud label on the thing that says something
like "If you have any questions about this thing like 'Why is it on my
roof?' or 'Why shouldn't I tag it?', or if you just want to know how to
use it, please call xxx-xxx-xxxx"

> Which brings me to my second point -- I'd totally consider building a
> relay for the top of Carlson Tower -- but not until there was a good
> reason to, or someone to connect to me. Who knows -- if it works well
> enough, my boss might actually let us connect it to our network, if the
> security aspects could be straightened out in some reasonable way.

Well, the whole idea is that it's an open network.  If NP was parts of
their network that they don't want people to get to, then segmenting off
those networks from the wireless setup is really easy.  I have about two
years experience with Linux firewalls and can basicly make them do
anything.

> It'd
> be great for people to be able to sit outside with their airport laptops
> and be online. But who knows.

Precisely... Or perhaps more importantly, sit in George's and check stocks
over a Pizza Burger and Chocolate Malt.

> Seriously though, what kind of p2p range can we have and still be
> legal?

Range is not the issue.  It's power.  The FCC does not care how far away
you can get and still pick up a signal.  They care about how powerful that
signal is, hence all the high-gain stuff to pick up faint signals.  No
amplifiers.  Amplifiers bad.  Amplifiers bring in the bad guys.

The other problem with boosting signal power is that the relays would be
doing it and the clients wouldn't, so we'd get this asymetrical situation
where the clients can detect a really strong signal from our "APs", but
the AP won't be able to hear the client.  With high-gain antenna, the
signal boost goes both ways.

In terms of technological practicality, that means links of a few miles at
most, with a _great_ line of sight.  Otherwise, p2p would reach maybe a
block, _maybe_ two.

> Peter

- --
Nate Riffe                 | PGP public key available from pgpkeys.mit.edu
http://movealong.dhs.org/  | using ID "Nate Riffe <inkblot@geocities.com>"
inkblot@geocities.com      |
nriffe@students.depaul.edu | Secure your email today!

----- End forwarded message -----

do not write below this line (for office use only)