[UFO Chicago] [pedro@tastytronic.net: Re: some nki]

Sat, 26 May 2001 14:38:15 -0500

----- Forwarded message from "Peter A. Peterson II" <pedro@tastytronic.net> -----

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 11:56:44 -0500
From: "Peter A. Peterson II" <pedro@tastytronic.net>
To: Nate Riffe <inkblot@geocities.com>
Cc: "Peter A. Peterson II" <pedro@tastytronic.net>
Subject: Re: some nki

Quoting Nate Riffe:
> Yes, it is feasible.  2x PCI WiFi cards with external antena jacks,
> old Pentium box with nothing else to do, two high-gain directional
> antenae.  OR... 1x PCI WiFi card with external antena jack, old
> Pentium box with nothing else to do, one high-gain omni (think 20dbi
> and up).

So the next question is, how much coverage would a box like this put
out? What kind of range?

> Let me know what you think.  And if you're going to actually build
> one, I'd like to be there and watch/help.

Well, the matchbox PC stuff (and the webserver on a credit card) are
both really cool, as well as those embedded linux devices (complete
linux box with normal connectors in about 4x4 inches). But when are they
going to be available at a reasonable price? (Or are you insinuating
that *we* build them. A-ha!) I like the whole "clandestinely placed
devices" idea, but that's a big investment just waiting to be stolen.

Which brings me to my second point -- I'd totally consider building a
relay for the top of Carlson Tower -- but not until there was a good
reason to, or someone to connect to me. Who knows -- if it works well
enough, my boss might actually let us connect it to our network, if the
security aspects could be straightened out in some reasonable way. It'd
be great for people to be able to sit outside with their airport laptops
and be online. But who knows.

Seriously though, what kind of p2p range can we have and still be
legal?

Peter

----- End forwarded message -----

do not write below this line (for office use only)