[UFO Chicago] Re: [LUNI] Softroad

Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:27:26 -0500

Quoting Jack Beglinger:
> I was head of a wireless group in Orlando, FL and were
> looking at doing this, down there a few years ago.  At
> that time the  group desided to stay small (about $700
> to step a house, and $2400 for a repeater on a
> building top) so we never need more than a house to
> house test.

Just so we have an idea, how many people on this list live in the city
proper and would be willing to sink some money into a wireless network?
It should be a given that if you put money into it, you would get
something out of it -- we're not asking of "investments".

Would you be:
A) willing to buy an antenna for yourself AND some kind of equipment for
a rooftop/repeater setup?

Or would you

B) just be happy to utilize the network?

* NOTE: you might not be able to be B without being A. We'll need a lot
* more As than Bs at the beginning.

I suppose pretty soon we'll start a mailing list for this project, and
then we'll need people's street addresses and/or what they're willing to
put into the project so we can start doing some physical mapping of
distances and locations.

pedro