[UFO Chicago] Enduser Journal #3

Sean Neakums sneakums@zork.net
25 Jun 2001 08:44:24 +0100

    MS> The Official word from linux-kernel is that 2.4 needs 2 times
    MS> the physical memory in swap, so you would need 1.28gb.  It's a
    MS> little silly, I know.

That's IF AND ONLY IF you are going to swap at all.  What are the odds
of a 640M machine ever swapping?  Even if you're doing work with huge
images in the GIMP, you can adjust the GIMP's tile cache so that it
never eats more than, say 400M of RAM (of course, a plugin could start
up and allocate a whole bunch more RAM, but I'm going to ignore this
inconvenient issue because it weakens my argument).

--
"We all float down here."
	-- Bob Gray