[UFO Chicago] Enduser Journal #3

Matthew Sayler sayler@speedsite.com
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:49:22 -0500

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 04:52:39PM -0500, Thomas wrote:
> quote Matthew
> > Note that if you move to a 2.4 series kernel you are more-or-less required
> > to have swap for 2 times your physical memory.  There are several ..
> issues
> > right now with the 2.4 VM system that cause this.
>
> So with 640MB of RAM I'd likely need 1,280MB for swap?  Does it really pro
> out to that or is there an upper limit?  Like 512 MB swap for a 256 MB
> system?  I have the drive space, but I guess I'd rather know now before I
> attempt to do much with this machine.  I do plan to move up to 2.4 when and
> if Yellow Dog gets wireless support worked out with it.

The Official word from linux-kernel is that 2.4 needs 2 times the physical
memory in swap, so you would need 1.28gb.  It's a little silly, I know.

Some details are available at

http://lwn.net/2001/0531/kernel.php3

> btw: Thanks for your responses all, Matt, Nate, and of course Pedro... I've
> always read about the friendliness/helpfulness of the Free OS community, but
> it's quite another thing to actually experience it.

de nada

--
/* Matt Sayler    -- Network Admin, Speedsite Online
 * (312) 803-7000 -- sayler@speedsite.com */