Fw: [UFO Chicago] Social Life

Nate Riffe nriffe@students.depaul.edu
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:47:09 -0500 (CDT)

> Quoting Mills Reece-RMILLS1:
> >
> > Now everyone else needs to share some personal tidbyte (bit? I always
> > get those two confused).

I work for a company in Michigan at an office in Evanston.  This is the
part that usually confuses people: It is MY office.  In other words,
sometimes I go there and I work, other times I go there to do whatever I
feel like doing at the office (as opposed to at home).  I have my own key,
and my own stock of food and caffienated beverages.

My office has basically been my only constant in the last two months.
Everything else has changed dramatically, so I'll just run down the list:

1) Bike was stolen May 1, reported immediately to campus security and CPD.
2) Got an apartment in Uptown May 15, began occupying it May 18 with help
of an air mattress.
3) Moved stuff out of dorms May 26, June 2, June 3, June 10 by bus mostly,
although I did carry a bookshelf 2.5 miles straight up Sheffield.
4) Attended first UFO meeting May 24.
5) Bought new bike May 25.
6) Activated phone line at new apartment June 6.
7) Moved remaining stuff (including computers) out of dorm and into
apartment June 15 by van.
8) Checked out of university housing June 16.
9) Graduated from DePaul U. on June 17.
10) Bought a bed and some chairs at Ikea, June 19.  Mattress was out of
stock.  I now have a twin size air mattress on a queen size frame for a
bed.
11) Plugged in computers June 20, discovered dead hard drive (data lost:
pgp private key, email archives, addressbooks containing email addresses
and phone numbers, some senior year school work, and others).
12) Discovered Ameritech voice mail fuck up June 21 (and I am supposed to
RSVP for a wedding by Monday...  no addressbook?  no voice mail?).
13) Fixed voice mail June 22.

If I go back just one more month to say, April 3rd, this list gets even
bigger, and the items that show up are more than I really want to share
right now.  At least I have my office and my job and some good friends,
they're nice and steady.

-Nate

Nate Riffe
"I lost my hard drive, my pgp key, my addressbook... everything."
                                  "You're still dating that girl, right?"
"Nope, broke up a few months ago."