[UFO Chicago] Meeting Report for Dec. 13th

Neil R. Ormos ormos@enteract.com
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:02:46 -0600 (CST)

Jack Beglinger wrote:

> Additional notes: CTA Cars...  Weight: 50,000 lbs. Volts:
> 600 Amps: 40 used per car per operator on Yellow line.

I think the reason this came up was a discussion of how
large the wires had to be to connect the shoes or pans to
the distribution equipment in the car.

The car weight you quote looks about right, but I don't know
where your 40-amp number comes from--it seems low, but
what's an "operator"?  An exemplary modern CTA car (3200
series) has four 110 HP traction motors.  Each traction
motor would draw about 159 A (full load) at 600V (assuming
nominal DC motor efficiency and neglecting other losses),
for a total of about 636 A per car.

> Baudot Code: http://www.teltexinc.com/faq/index.htm - 5
> Bit Larry is correct.  Transmitted at 45.5 baud - yes that
> is without a k.

I don't know much about TDDs and other land-line uses of
Baudot.  In radio-teletype applications, Baudot has been
used at various rates, including 45, 50, 57, 75 and 100
nominal bps (equivalant to 60, 66, 75, 100 and 132 nominal
WPM).

  --neil