[UFO Chicago] Meeting Report for Dec. 13th

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 14:11:08 -0800

begin  Neil R. Ormos  quotation:
> Jack Beglinger wrote:
> > Additional notes: CTA Cars...  Weight: 50,000 lbs. Volts: 600
> > Amps: 40 used per car per operator on Yellow line.
[...]
> The car weight you quote looks about right, but I don't know where
> your 40-amp number comes from--it seems low, but what's an
> "operator"?  An exemplary modern CTA car (3200 series) has four 110
> HP traction motors.  Each traction motor would draw about 159 A
> (full load) at 600V (assuming nominal DC motor efficiency and
> neglecting other losses), for a total of about 636 A per car.

You guys just made my day.

	Electric rail geekery on UFO!

The "operator" is a term the CTA has used instead of "motorman" since
1993 (when the 3200 series was introduced).

	Would you believe I've never been to Chicago, but I have the
el maps nearly memorized?

No idea why the amperage draw would be per operator.

--
INFORMATION GLADLY GIVEN BUT SAFETY REQUIRES AVOIDING UNNECESSARY CONVERSATION

	01234567 <- The amazing* indent-o-meter!