[sklyarov-chicago] Experiences

mjinks@sysvi.com mjinks@sysvi.com
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:29:07 -0500

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 04:01:51PM -0700, Jeff.Chimene@etest.com wrote:

> O	Understand the fsck out of First Use and Fair Use. I had a long
> discussion w/ a "family lawyer paralegal" about these issues. She's
> absolutely convinced that there's no right to even excerpt a copyrighted
> text, and that making tape copies of CD for personal use is "a grey area."
> While her arguments may have been dicey, I didn't have the resources to
> convince her otherwise.

http://media-in-transition.mit.edu/forums/copyright/index_transcript.html

Whatever you may think of Stallman, this is a great read by someone who is
clearly passionate and widely read in the issue, and from a larger historical
sense than most of the debate I've seen elsewhere.

Also, Declan McCullagh's politech mailing list reprinted a very nice bit
from Bruce Schneier today.  I'll forward it unless somebody tells me not
to...

> O	I really enjoyed meeting and working with people whom I am honored
> to call my peers!

Likewise to all, thanks for taking the time to stand around in the heat.  I've
never done anything like that before and it was educational to say the least.

Cheers,
-m

Michael Jinks
the burr head with the red sign and the tie