[sklyarov-chicago] One measure of success: Adobe calls for Dmitry's release

Aaron Swartz me@aaronsw.com
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 19:31:23 -0500

Well, this is one measure of success. Good work guys... and woohoo!
- [ "Aaron Swartz" ; <mailto:me@aaronsw.com> ;=20
<http://www.aaronsw.com/> ]

Adobe, Electronic Frontier Foundation Call for Release

of Russian Programmer

For Immediate Release: July 23, 2001

Contacts for EFF:

Will Doherty, EFF Online Activist / Media Relations,
=A0 wild@eff.org,
=A0 +1 415-436-9333 x111

Robin Gross, EFF Staff Attorney - Intellectual Property,
=A0 robin@eff.org,
=A0 +1 415-436-9333 x209

Contact for Adobe:

Holly Campbell, Senior Corporate Public Relations Manager,
=A0 campbell@adobe.com,
=A0 +1 408-536-6401

San Jose, Calif. - Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq: ADBE) and=20
the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) today jointly recommend=20
the release of Russian programmer Dmitry Sklyarov from federal=20
custody.

Adobe is also withdrawing its support for the criminal complaint=20
against Dmitry Sklyarov.

"EFF praises Adobe for doing the right thing," said Shari=20
Steele, EFF Executive Director. "We are pleased to see that=20
Adobe has lived up to the high standard of integrity that has=20
made the company successful. While we don't agree on every=20
detail of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), we look=20
forward to working together with Adobe to secure Dmitry's=20
immediate release."

"We strongly support the DMCA and the enforcement of copyright=20
protection of digital content," said Colleen Pouliot, Senior=20
Vice President and General Counsel for Adobe. "However, the=20
prosecution of this individual in this particular case is not=20
conducive to the best interests of any of the parties involved=20
or the industry. ElcomSoft's Advanced eBook Processor software=20
is no longer available in the United States, and from that=20
perspective the DMCA worked. Adobe will continue to protect its=20
copyright interests and those of its customers."

Sklyarov was arrested July 16 on a criminal complaint filed by=20
the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of California under=20
the DMCA. ElcomSoft is the Moscow-based company employing=20
Sklyarov.

About Adobe Systems Incorporated

Adobe Systems Incorporated ( http://www.adobe.com ) builds award=20
winning software solutions for Network Publishing, including=20
Web, print, video, wireless and broadband applications. Its=20
graphic design, imaging, dynamic media and authoring tools=20
enable customers to create, manage and deliver visually-rich,=20
reliable content. Headquartered in San Jose, Calif., Adobe is=20
the second largest PC software company in the U.S., with annual=20
revenues exceeding $1.2 billion.

About the Electronic Frontier Foundation

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is the leading civil=20
liberties organization working to protect rights in the digital=20
world. Founded in 1990, EFF actively encourages and challenges=20
industry and government to support free expression, privacy, and=20
openness in the information society. EFF is a member-supported=20
organization and maintains one of the most linked-to websites in=20
the world:
=A0 http://www.eff.org/

- end -