[sklyarov-chicago] Experiences

Steve Stearns sterno@bigbrother.net
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 19:34:35 -0500 (CDT)

> O	Understand the fsck out of First Use and Fair Use. I had a long
> discussion w/ a "family lawyer paralegal" about these issues. She's
> absolutely convinced that there's no right to even excerpt a copyrighted
> text, and that making tape copies of CD for personal use is "a grey area."
> While her arguments may have been dicey, I didn't have the resources to
> convince her otherwise.

It might be useful to build a quick reference list for people to
consult.  The list could contain references to relevant legal precedences
and quotations from copyright law that are particularly relavent.  Granted
it'd be better to have a deeper expert understanding of it, but it would
help for casual discussion with the more legally savvy.

---Steve