[UFO Chicago] Hardware reco -- new keyboard?

Dave daveydee87 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 08:28:28 PDT 2020

Hey Matthew,

I've been a mechanical keyboard nerd for about 10 years. If you can afford
to spend ~$100 on your keyboard I would highly recommend a Ducky or Corsair
brand mechanical keyboard with Cherry red or black switches (linear). If
you haven't used a mech before, you are in for a treat.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 10:25 PM Matthew T. Gibbs <
ufochicago-mail at mattgibbs.us> wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 2:10:43 PM CDT Brian Sobolak wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > After months of working from home, I have decided I am ready for a new
> > keyboard + mouse.  ACTUALLY, I switched employers and my new work laptop
> > doesn’t have working function keys.  Which is horrible.  (And yes, I
> > figured out how to fix that via Google, but still, annoying.)
> >
> > I have found that most modern keyboards really suck, at least compared
> to a
> > more “corporate” keyboard. The Logitech/Microsoft ones are super flimsy
> and
> > huge.  I’ve used someone of the older ones that were heavier and better.
> >
> > Anyone have a recommendation?
> >
> > Rough list of needs:
> >   - QWERTY
> >   - function keys
> >   - don’t care about caps lock, but nice
> >   - USB is OK, not necessary to be wireless
> >   - must have PageUp/PageDown keys.  (It is horrid that Macs don’t have
> > this.)
>
> I still use a model M.  You may be able to find a used one online
> somewhere or
> you can get new versions from Unicomp:
>
> <https://www.pckeyboard.com>
>
> You can also get a wireless ThinkPad keyboard.  They aren't quite as good
> as
> the old style but still much better than many others IMO.
>
> <https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/keyboards-and-mice/
> keyboards/KBD-BO-TrackPoint-KBD-US-English/p/4Y40X49493
> <https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/keyboards-and-mice/keyboards/KBD-BO-TrackPoint-KBD-US-English/p/4Y40X49493>
> >

> Finally, I've heard that the newer mechanical ones are decent, though they
> are
> usually targeted towards gamers.
>
> Good to hear from you!
>
> Take care,