[UFO Chicago] Hardware reco -- new keyboard?

Matthew T. Gibbs ufochicago-mail at mattgibbs.us
Tue Sep 15 20:19:31 PDT 2020

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 2:10:43 PM CDT Brian Sobolak wrote:
> Hi
>
> After months of working from home, I have decided I am ready for a new
> keyboard + mouse.  ACTUALLY, I switched employers and my new work laptop
> doesn’t have working function keys.  Which is horrible.  (And yes, I
> figured out how to fix that via Google, but still, annoying.)
>
> I have found that most modern keyboards really suck, at least compared to a
> more “corporate” keyboard. The Logitech/Microsoft ones are super flimsy and
> huge.  I’ve used someone of the older ones that were heavier and better.
>
> Anyone have a recommendation?
>
> Rough list of needs:
>   - QWERTY
>   - function keys
>   - don’t care about caps lock, but nice
>   - USB is OK, not necessary to be wireless
>   - must have PageUp/PageDown keys.  (It is horrid that Macs don’t have
> this.)

I still use a model M.  You may be able to find a used one online somewhere or
you can get new versions from Unicomp:

<https://www.pckeyboard.com>

You can also get a wireless ThinkPad keyboard.  They aren't quite as good as
the old style but still much better than many others IMO.

<https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/keyboards-and-mice/
keyboards/KBD-BO-TrackPoint-KBD-US-English/p/4Y40X49493>

Finally, I've heard that the newer mechanical ones are decent, though they are
usually targeted towards gamers.

Good to hear from you!

Take care,

Matt