[UFO Chicago] Meeting Followup--FPGAs

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Mon Dec 12 13:50:53 PST 2016

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 2:29 PM, Neil R. Ormos <ormos at ripco.com> wrote:

> "What sort of
> design problem would require an FPGA?"

http://hdmi2usb.tv "record and stream HD videos (from HDMI & DisplayPort
sources) for conferences, meetings and user groups."

I am user #1.  I am not a developer, but I kinda hang out with the team so
I can talk about it a little.

It will read a 720p hdmi signal and output a mjpeg stream over usb2.   uses
the uvc protocol that Linux exposes on /dev/video0 - Looks like a 720p
webcam.

it will do 1080... something but has issues.

funny: it also exposes a tty device so you can interact with it using a
serial console (minicom) to see status and change config settings.  but the
fpga side can't keep up with strings being piped in from a script, guessing
buffer overflow.   It is on the list of things to fix.
https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware/issues/219 "serial
port drops characters"

for the curious:
this gstreamer code:
https://github.com/CarlFK/voctomix-outcasts/blob/master/ingest.py#L76

reads from the hdmi2usb device and sends the stream to:
https://github.com/voc/voctomix/blob/master/voctocore/voctocore.py

a few more steps and videos get uploaded to youtube:

https://github.com/CarlFK/veyepar/blob/master/dj/lib/youtube_v3_uploader.py#L188

--
Carl K