[UFO Chicago] live linux distro to boot from CD not DVD

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Sat Dec 26 14:07:20 PST 2015

I'm curious about the requirements.

What are the specs of the box?

You 'can' run stuff on very low end equipment, but if it is lower than this
I would recommend donating the $75 cash to this project and not burn up
hours struggling a loosing battle.

http://freegeekchicago.org/buy
Minimum Laptop Hardware Package
1.60 GHz Intel Atom or better processor (or AMD equivalent)
1.0 GB Random Access Memory (RAM)

I happen to have next to me a 1.4ghz 2g that I use for testing - it runs
stock Ubuntu good enough.

> sacrifice any relational databases, gimp and other software that requires
somebody at
> least somewhat geeky to use.  primary needs are office suite

office suite seems like she would want to save to local storage, and that
seems like it would drift into geeky to use with a live CD.

What about booting from usb stick, which can be a full install with r/w and
thus local storage?  And gigs of space.

> and web browser(s).

which will get you google docs, which gets you "cloud storage" for free, no
geeky needed.  You just sell your soul or something.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/education

On Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 1:07 PM, eviljoel <eviljoel at linux.com> wrote:

> Hey Carey,
>
> I know this is an old thread, but you might want to try Lubuntu:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu
>
> You can get checksum and PGP signature information here:
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/15.10/release/
>
> Note that Lubuntu fits on a 750 MB CD which pretty much every CD-ROM
> drive supports. Also note that Lubuntu won't have their first long term
> support release until April.
>
> Thanks,
> eviljoel
>
> On 12/11/2015 09:55 AM, Jay F. Shachter wrote:
> >
> > Centuries ago, Nostradamus predicted that Carey Tyler Schug would write
> on Fri Dec 11 08:38:19 2015:
> >

> >> I'm looking for the maximal experience I can get that will boot from a
> >> CD not a DVD for an older computer.  Assume 32 bit.  This is for a
> >> windows friend,  I know there are plenty of minimal distributions, at
> >> 200 MB or less, but I want as much as will fit on a 680 MB CD.
> >>
> >> This would be for "sort of" rescue.  For her to boot from the CD, access
> >> the web for mail, maybe mount her hard disk and view if not edit
> documents.
> >>
> >> I don't know what is on current distros at typically 1.1 GB, but I can
> >> certainly sacrifice any relational databases, gimp and other software
> >> that requires somebody at least somewhat geeky to use.
> >> primary needs are office suite and web browser(s).  Other educational
> >> software would be a plus (she is a teacher).
> >>
> >> So far I have a slax CD at 226 MB.  Maybe this is fulfills the above, I
> >> haven't burned it yet.
> >>

> >> --Carey
> >>

> > I refer you to https://livecdlist.com.  Take your pick.
> >
> > It's also easier than you think to burn your own customized live CD
> > image.
> >

> >       Jay F. Shachter
> >       6424 North Whipple Street
> >       Chicago IL  60645-4111
> >               (1-773)7613784   landline
> >               (1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
> >                 http://m5.chicago.il.us
> >               jay at m5.chicago.il.us
> >
> >       "But when she traced the killer's IP address ... it was in the
> 192.168/16 block!"
> >

> --
> Let me teach you encrypted e-mail. eviljoel's PGP fingerprint:
> A2BE 2D12 24D1 67CA 8830  DDE7 DFB3 676B 196D 6430

Carl K