[UFO Chicago] CPL Website

Matthew T. Gibbs mtgibbs at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 22:06:10 PDT 2014

> On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:06 PM, Brian Sobolak <brian at planetshwoop.com> wrote:

> Hi --
>
> I owed some fines so I went to the CPL website.  They have launched a
> "new" website, which appears to be a social networking site for
> libraries
> launched for Chicago.  Two kind of horrifying things to start:
>
> 1) the T&C indicate the contract law in cases of disputes is set for
> Ontario Canada, which is odd.

Boilerplate?

> 2) The default is of course to "share everything".  I marked a few
> cookbooks that I wanted to get after I go in and pay the fine and it
> mentioned that my "information was shared publicly" but I could go and
> change it.
>
> Why should my library website be like Facebook?  Who benefits from this?

I agree.  And what if you are trying to look something up that you don't want to be shared, such as literature about LGBT issues or something that may be unpopular and you don't know to "unshare" it?  Or you forget?  I always thought that libraries should be places where confidentiality and privacy is valued.

Matt