[UFO Chicago] CPL Website

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Tue Jun 10 12:05:47 PDT 2014

Hi --

I owed some fines so I went to the CPL website.  They have launched a
"new" website, which appears to be a social networking site for libraries
launched for Chicago.  Two kind of horrifying things to start:

1) the T&C indicate the contract law in cases of disputes is set for
Ontario Canada, which is odd.

2) The default is of course to "share everything".  I marked a few
cookbooks that I wanted to get after I go in and pay the fine and it
mentioned that my "information was shared publicly" but I could go and
change it.

Why should my library website be like Facebook?  Who benefits from this?