[UFO Chicago] Meeting Followup: LibreOffice Accelerates Open Source Spreadsheets, Thanks to AMD (fwd)

Neil Ormos H ormos at ripco.com
Tue Aug 13 13:29:46 PDT 2013

Apropos of our discussion at the last meeting, in
which one faction argued that people (mis-)use
spreadsheet software for applications that should
be implemented using other tools, here's a report
of an effort to ensure LibreOffice Calc is at
least as mis-useable as Microsoft's Excel. :-)

|> LibreOffice Accelerates Open Source
|> Spreadsheets, Thanks to AMD

|> AMD is now a member of The Document
|> Foundation's Advisory Board and is helping the
|> open source group improve the LibreOffice Calc
|> spreadsheet program.  [...]

|> AMD's contributions are focused on the use of a
|> GPU to help accelerate spreadsheet
|> computation. Meeks noted that supercomputer
|> users have long benefited from the use of GPUs
|> to speed up computation and the time has come
|> for some of that capability to land on the
|> desktop. [...]

|> The plan is also about improving raw CPU
|> performance as well by restructuring the Calc
|> core to save memory. LibreOffice will leverage
|> OpenCL to be able to communicate with discrete
|> graphics cards as well as the Heterogeneous
|> System Architecture (HSA) which is currently in
|> development at AMD.

  <http://www.datamation.com/applications/libreoffice-accelerates-open-source-spreadsheets-thanks-to-amd.html>

Best regards,

--Neil Ormos