[UFO Chicago] ntfs on linux

Calvin Pryor calvinpryor at gmail.com
Sun May 6 13:37:55 PDT 2012

Hello all,

I have a 1T SATA drive (formatted as NTFS) on a Windows machine and I think
the SATA controller card is failing.

I want to put the drive in my Ubuntu machine to rule out what's failing
(the drive or the SATA card) and back up the data on the drive.

If I mount the NTFS partition in Linux, will all the partition info remain
unchanged ? So that at any point in the future, Windows will still
recognize the partition (w/o having to jump through any hoops) ?

What if I use tools like
ntfsprogs<http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/dapper/man8/ntfsprogs.8.html>
get partition info on the drive while it's mounted in Linux ? Will these
type of tools leave the NTFS partition info unchanged so Windows will still
auto recognize everything ?

Calvin Pryor
calvinpryor at gmail.com