[UFO Chicago] Seeking FreeBSD jail ISP

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Wed May 2 05:54:16 PDT 2012

On Mon, April 30, 2012 12:00 pm, Jim Bell wrote:

> I'm seeking a FreeBSD jail provider. Preferably a small shop or sole
> proprietor who knows the tech/admin side.

I'd recommend asking on the freebsd mailing lists.  Most of us at UFO use
Linux in some variant.  I looked into it in 2006 and don't remember really
finding anything.

To the degree that there is such a thing as 'the consensus opinion' at
UFO, many of us are big fans of Linode. Not exactly what you're looking
for, but quite a few of us have used it and been extremely pleased with
the performance and customer service.

> And while I'm at it, anyone convinced that FreeBSD is superior/inferior
> to Linux?  Performance (network and memory management) and security are
> my concerns.  Not inciting a flame war, just askin'... ;-)  Linux VPS's
> are a lot easier to find.

I don't think anyone in this group is doing any kind of work where it much
matters.  I'd suggest for 99% of the applications being used today that
are on computers and not mobile handsets, it doesn't much matter.  The
biggest difference is more legal than software -- the BSD license vs GNU.

I always preferred the layout of FreeBSD to Linux, but that's because it's
what I learned first. I suspect this is more like preferring the spelling
of 'colour' to 'color' when the concept is effectively the same.