[UFO Chicago] mobile phone advice sought

Greg Groth ggroth at gregs-garage.com
Tue Feb 7 04:24:55 PST 2012

On 2/2/2012 9:34 PM, Brian Sobolak wrote:
> So when discussing the popularity of Unix and Linux, it is often left
> unremarked that almost all of the mobile phone vendors have moved towards
> unixy platforms through Android and iOS (and if still relevant in two
> years, qnx aka Blackberry).
>
> So I need a new phone. I have been using a corporate one for some time and
> haven't paid much attention to price vs features. I do need a smartphone,
> as I plan (hope?) to be able to use it as a GPS for recording exercise and
> geocaching.  Beyond that, I'm flexible.
>
> My only other requirement is that I will not use AT&T. I despised Cingular.
>
> Any deep thoughts to share?
>
> brian

I can't really comment on the carriers, as my experience has been using
AT&T until just recently.  For reasons that have as much to do with a
coin flip as anything else, I recently got a Galaxy S from US Cellular.
I can say that the Android platform has been a blast.  Within two hours
of getting the phone, I had it connected to my WAN, installed FTP, SMB,
Putty & VNC clients, Installed a text editor, and was writing code on my
phone.  Granted it would be way easier with a keyboard.

Greg Groth