[UFO Chicago] mobile phone advice sought

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Feb 6 23:01:23 PST 2012

Warning: Biased content follows.

At this point, there are only two serious platforms in contention,
Android and iOS.  Blackberry is sliding rapidly, webOS was stillborn
(due more to business failure than technical failure), and Windows Phone
(or Mobile, or whatever they're calling it this week) is still going
nowhere fast, even with Nokia getting in bed with them.

Of those two, iOS had the early lead but Android is currently growing
faster and has a larger market share, even with the surge from the
iPhone 4S.  I think some stats have Android capturing over 50% of the US
smartphone market.  Both platforms have a bajillion apps.

Android is *not* open, in the sense that Free Software people tend to
use the term.  To make it useful still requires tying into Google.  Some
manufacturers still pull dick moves to lock down the device.  However,
it is still far far less closed than iOS is, by leaps and bounds.
There's a healthy custom ROM community, if you are into such things.
Almost all devices let you side-load apps or install 3rd party markets
rather than going through the One True Curated Walled Garden of The
Steve(tm).

Some recent stats actually suggest that Android is more stable than iOS,
despite conventional wisdom saying the opposite.

If not obvious by now, I'd suggest an Android device. :-)

Most carriers have at least some good devices.  Verizon has arguably the
best selection of high-end phones, but then you'd be using Verizon.
T-Mobile is reputed to be the most customer-friendly carrier (I've been
with them for going on 9 years now), but I'd say the weakest lineup of
hardware.  Sadly due to different frequency bands in 3G/4G spectrum you
really can't take a phone to a new carrier anymore in this country,
because we're a third world banana republic.

Probably the best place to track down information on the Android world
is Phandroid.com.  Pretty good news feed, decent archive of device
specs, and active forums.

Things to consider are if you want a keyboard or not (they're sadly
rare), 3G/4G (just get a 4G phone, really), screen size (anything from
3" to 5" is available; I like a 4" sweet spot but YMMV), manufacturer
reputation (Samsung is great for initial sale, suck on upgrades and
support; HTC is better, and the Google Nexus line is best in that
regard), and processing engine.  (Yes, you can get phones with more CPU
cores than your laptop, plus a dedicated GPU. It's an amazing world we
live in.)

There's only a scant few phones shipping with Android 4.0 right now, and
a few others that will supposedly get upgrades sooner or later.  I would
recommend getting something with 4.0 on it, or one that has a public
commitment from the manufacturer to upgrade to it.  Most phones in the
wild today run Android 2.3.  (Android 3.x was just for tablets.)

If you have specific additional questions, ask either here or on Phandroid.

(Disclaimer: I carry a Samsung Vibrant, aka the T-Mobile version of the
Galaxy S; best-selling Android phone to date, but Samsung's support and
upgrade offerings for US customers have been atrocious.  How much of
that is Saumsung being dicks and how much are carriers being dicks is a
subject of some debate.  Sadly Samsung is the only manufacturer using
SAMOLED displays, which are seriously awesome screens.)

--Larry Garfield