[UFO Chicago] mobile phone advice sought

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Thu Feb 2 19:34:48 PST 2012

So when discussing the popularity of Unix and Linux, it is often left
unremarked that almost all of the mobile phone vendors have moved towards
unixy platforms through Android and iOS (and if still relevant in two
years, qnx aka Blackberry).

So I need a new phone. I have been using a corporate one for some time and
haven't paid much attention to price vs features. I do need a smartphone,
as I plan (hope?) to be able to use it as a GPS for recording exercise and
geocaching.  Beyond that, I'm flexible.

My only other requirement is that I will not use AT&T. I despised Cingular.

Any deep thoughts to share?