[UFO Chicago] OT--ISP Recommendations?

Christopher D. Heer cheer at heerfamily.net
Tue May 3 19:56:47 PDT 2011

On 5/3/2011 3:54 PM, Neil R. Ormos wrote:
> Although there appear to be some good fixed
> wireless ISPs in the Fox Valley and the North
> Suburbs, I haven't found any that serve
> residential customers in my area.

I used a fixed wireless ISP up here for a couple of years and have
checked into others.  All the ones I looked at do employ some kind of
throttling, depending on your overall usage and/or tower usage.

Also, after about a year and a half, I started having some kind of
interference that would kill my bandwidth.  Multiple service calls were
unable to determine the source, and eventually I had to just bail and go
to AT&T.  (In fairness, the customer service from the provider --
dls.net -- was utterly outstanding; far better than anything I've ever
seen with the big ISPs.  They just couldn't fix my problem.)

Now with the bandwidth caps I've been searching for an alternative, but
I'm coming up empty, so I'll be very interested to hear if others have
alternative suggestions.

--chris