[UFO Chicago] OT--ISP Recommendations?

Neil R. Ormos ormos at ripco.com
Tue May 3 13:54:56 PDT 2011

Admittedly off-topic...

I'm looking for recommendations for a new
residential "broadband" ISP. I live in the nearish
NW suburbs E of Woodfield.

Fewer restrictions (port blocking, e-mail
filtering, and other nuisance meddling) would be
ideal.

I'd like to avoid carriers which impose a usage
cap (e.g., AT&T, Comcast), but the usage cap is
not an absolute dealbreaker if all factors,
including the usage cap, are reasonable.

I currently have AT&T DSL (along with a phone
line) and I'd like to eliminate both the DSL and
the phone line.  If anyone is aware of a good deal
on dry-loop DSL, I'd be interested in hearing
about it.

Although there appear to be some good fixed
wireless ISPs in the Fox Valley and the North
Suburbs, I haven't found any that serve
residential customers in my area.

Thanks.

--Neil Ormos