[UFO Chicago] The Shakespeare Programming Language

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Wed Jul 6 18:01:11 PDT 2011

On Wed, July 6, 2011 1:24 pm, Jay F Shachter wrote:
> Since not every reader of this mailing list is a member of the ACM,
> some of you may not have seen today's announcement of the Shakespeare
> Programming Language (SPL), a language giving rise to programs that
> resemble Shakespeare's plays.  There is currently no SPL compiler, but
> there is a translator that translates SPL programs into C.
>
> Everything that follows this paragraph (until my signature at the end)
> will be the complete contents of an SPL program that prints prime
> numbers.

Ok, so I have a few questions:

 - what do compiler errors look like?  Does someone die?
 - I bet this has already been done in Perl.  Have you checked?
 - I saw on usenet that someone was going to write a competing language
for Samuel Beckett.  He was discouraged because "GODOT CONSIDERED
HARMFUL".

Yep, that English degree is good for something.