[UFO Chicago] Haiku (was: Re: Tech Support)

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Oct 21 22:11:07 PDT 2010

On Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:47:25 pm Brian Sobolak wrote:
> On Wed, October 20, 2010 10:20 pm, Matthew T. Gibbs wrote:

Be, Inc. was bought by PalmSource, Inc, the software half spin-off from Palm,
Inc.  PalmSource didn't care about the OS, but wanted the engineers.  They
bought the company for a song (it was mostly dead by that point anyway),
ignored BeOS, gave a few major Be owners/investors key positions with
PalmSource, and had the Be cum PalmSource engineers work on the next
generation Palm OS version 6, later renamed to Palm OS Cobalt.

Cobalt shipped on exactly zero devices and was quickly forgotten.  Why no one
was interested in it is the subject of much debate, but it was essentially
still born.  Parallels to Apple Copeland abound.

PalmSource then bought China Mobile Soft, which had a Linux-based phone OS,
and announced that they would be developing a new Linux-based OS with a
proprietary GUI layer on top, much in the vein of Mac OS X.  How much of the
Cobalt work ended up in that is not clear, but before it was finished
PalmSource was bought by ACCESS Systems, who eventually finished the project
and named it Access Linux Platform (ALP), which I don't believe ever shipped
either.  (There may be some bit player Asian-only manufacturer using it, but
no one of consequence.  I don't recall exactly.)

Palm, Inc, meanwhile, after renaming itself to palmOne and then back to Palm
just to confuse people and make investors think they were doing something,
said "Screw you guys, you're even more incompetent than we are" and went off
to develop their own proprietary-GUI-on-Linux mobile OS from scratch, which
was eventually released as webOS.  webOS was promptly run over in the market
by  Android, Google's custom-GUI-on-Linux mobile platform.

Somewhere in California there was rumored to be a one room office with "Be,
Inc." on the door that consisted of one guy napping, because Be wasn't
technically dissolved for years so had to have an employee of some kind to
answer junk mail.  I do not know if there is any truth to this story.

(Thank you for the trip down memory lane!)

--Larry Garfield