[UFO Chicago] Haiku (was: Re: Tech Support)

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Thu Oct 21 20:47:25 PDT 2010

On Wed, October 20, 2010 10:20 pm, Matthew T. Gibbs wrote:
> [...]

BeOS was bitchin' and a lot of fun to play with back in the day.  It's of
interest for those who are interested in OS design, I think, but it was
folded into Palm (or Apple?) and quickly disappeared.

It was particularly good for multi-media work, which in 1999 was kind of
new and helpful.  No one really ever developed software for it, and though
BeOS tried to become a good OS for embedded devices, it never took off.

The haiku project took off shortly after, and I'm glad to see they've made
it all the way to alpha.  Their screenshots are compelling, as they have
very detailed pictures of installing Haiku, not actually doing anything
with it.  (though maybe it's a nice change from the manga
chick/irc/i'm-also-compiling-a-kernel screenshots that are popular with
Linux distributions.

Good timing to mention it -- if anyone is truly interested you could get
on a plane on Friday and still attend the conference in Duesseldorf this
weekend.  It's only 35 EUR.