[UFO Chicago] allowable characters for group names on Xubuntu

Greg Neumarke greg at neumarke.net
Sat Jun 12 21:53:53 PDT 2010

On 6/12/2010 10:53 PM, Politik Durden wrote:
> Running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx, creating group names to mount to
> a Windows share and the GUI is telling me I have some illegal
> characters in the group names.
>
> Group names:
>
> "music_on_compaqd51c"
> "shared_video_on_compaqd51c"
> "software_on_compaqd51c"
>
> etc, etc
>
> I used the command line to create the groups, and got no errors but
> when I used the GUI to verify I did the commands right, I got the
> error about illegal characters. There are no other error messages, but
> I'm just wondering about allowable characters, before I create more
> groups.
>
> Oddly enough, Google didn't turn up any results for rules on
> user/group names.
>
> As usual, thanks in advance..........
>

> ___

man groupadd
on Ubuntu 10.04 gives this:

CAVEATS
        It is usually recommended to only use groupnames that begin with a
        lower case letter or an underscore, followed by lower case letters,
        digits, underscores, or dashes. They can end with a dollar sign. In
        regular expression terms: [a-z_][a-z0-9_-]*[$]?

        On Debian, the only constraints are that groupnames must neither
start
        with a dash (-) nor contain a colon (:) or a whitespace (space:
, end
        of line: \n, tabulation: \t, etc.).

        Groupnames may only be up to 32 characters long.

Which would seem to indicate that the underscores are OK. Is it possible
that the groupnames in your example actually start and end with the
quotation marks? That would be an illegal character. Also all letters
must apparently be lowercase.

-Greg