[UFO Chicago] allowable characters for group names on Xubuntu

Politik Durden politikdurden at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 12 20:53:49 PDT 2010

Running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx, creating group names to mount to a Windows share and the GUI is telling me I have some illegal characters in the group names.

Group names:

"music_on_compaqd51c"
"shared_video_on_compaqd51c"
"software_on_compaqd51c"

etc, etc

I used the command line to create the groups, and got no errors but when I used the GUI to verify I did the commands right, I got the error about illegal characters. There are no other error messages, but I'm just wondering about allowable characters, before I create more groups.

Oddly enough, Google didn't turn up any results for rules on user/group names.

As usual, thanks in advance..........