[UFO Chicago] follow-up R question, Yale open coursework

Jordan Bettis jordanb at hafd.org
Tue Jan 12 15:48:39 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 08:18:37PM -0800, Brian Sobolak wrote:

> hi all --
>
> A few meeting follow-ups....
>
> 1.  Neil -- Did you have a specific R book in mind when you recommended
> additional R information, or were you describing the pattern of charging
> for quality documentation for free software (ala ImageMagick)

Amazon keeps trying to recommend this to me:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470510242

I "learned" R using this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Using-Introductory-Statistics-John-Verzani/dp/1584884509

Of course, it's 95% introductory stats and 5% "the R language" but I
still found it pretty useful. It spends the first couple chapters
talking about generally useful diagnostic tools like q-q plots. Then
it plows through the usual topics, beginning with some probability and
significance testing and ending with beginning topics in linear modeling.

This is also a pretty good book:
http://www.amazon.com/Graphics-Chapman-Computer-Science-Analysis/dp/158488486X/

Again, it doesn't cover the R language from a programmer's
perspective, but it does go into a great deal of detail about the
mechanics of the graphics system -- both the old S-derived plotting
system and the new grid system.