[UFO Chicago] alternative ways of locating files

Politik Durden politikdurden at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 5 08:39:18 PST 2010

>> "You might also want to consider running a finder service like
MetaTracker
 or Recall"

Couldn't find any info on Recall. Got any links ?

>> "It continues to amaze me that there are more nuanced tools for finding
files
 besides navigating a file tree.  When you look at people's
computers,
 and how much frustration it causes for most, it surprises me
that
more isn't done.  I often think people email files in corporations
just
 so they can find them later."

This is why I'm learning Drupal. I've got well over a terabyte of content and between Windows/Linux/Mac OS spread over 6 boxes, I haven't found a single solution to handle it all. I've tried a few tagging programs (haven't tried any mentioned in this thread; I'll check those out) but I have to use more than one of them to get all the features I want. Media servers do ok with music and video but don't handle documents/odd file formats well (if at all). I need to have 100% complete control over the tagging/indexing, when I add the content *and* when I access/search for it. None of the programs I tried are good at both. And I need to do all this from a browser.

At first Drupal seemed like overkill but it took just way too long to keep pruning my content. I tried starting a database to keep track of everything, but that got really complicated really fast and I felt like I was reinventing the wheel. And making
 everything browser accessible requires waaaaaay too much coding. Drupal does have a high(er) learning curve, and a bit of coding but in the end, I'll get *exactly* what I want. Plus after I finish this project, I'll be able to make some money doing web development.

While I was looking up all the utilities mentioned and Google-ing (??) "file tagging", I ran across an interesting stat that estimates 80% of all relevant corporate data is locked away in individual file stores. Working in Corporate America for the past 12 years or so, I can vouch for that. Every one makes their own little nest of content but sharing it (easily) with everyone else just doesn't happen. Sharepoint blows. You might as well just map a network drive and share a calendar in Outlook.

I know I'm a big time lurker on this list but this topic struck a chord, so I thought I would give my two cents :-)