[UFO Chicago] cat 6 termination ?

Michael Sphar mikesphar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 19:25:20 PDT 2009

On Oct 4, 2009, at 6:50 PM, Jesse Becker wrote:
> I'd also question the reason you are installing CAT6 cables.  Is it
> just because you can?  Because you need GigE ethernet?  Because 6 is
> bigger than 5, so it must be better?  (If that's the case, go with
> CAT7!  <grin>)

I'm not sure about the going rate on bulk unterminated cable, but just
checking Newegg real quick you can get 1000ft of Cat-6 for $103 and
1000ft of Cat-5e for $80.  8 cents/foot vs 10 cents/foot is a pretty
small difference, so I'd likely be thinking about cat-6 if I was
putting in new cable runs right now just to plan for the future since
it doesn't cost much more.

I think the price premium in 7 is still much higher.