[UFO Chicago] cat 6 termination ?

Jesse Becker jesse_becker at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 4 16:50:36 PDT 2009

I'd also question the reason you are installing CAT6 cables.  Is it just because you can?  Because you need GigE ethernet?  Because 6 is bigger than 5, so it must be better?  (If that's the case, go with CAT7!  <grin>)

I'm not objecting to CAT6 in general, just wondering if you need to care.  If you just want GigE connections, CAT5e (and up) is sufficient.  If you want potential room to grow into faster protocols (10GbE, for example), then you should look at CAT6.  Note that I've only very recently even heard[1] of 10GbE NICs that can use CAT6 cables.  Most 10 GbE stuff uses either fiber or CX4 copper connections.

[1] This hardware certainly may have existed for some time, but *I've* not heard about it--not that that means anything, of course...

--
Jesse Becker
GPG-fingerprint:  BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0  2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2