[UFO Chicago] Memorex 6136u Scanner

Matthew T. Gibbs mtgibbs at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 09:13:00 PDT 2009

Not that I'm aware of off hand.

> If not, there a way to access the scanner thru wine or wineconsole?

Wine does not do anything with drivers; it is merely a fancy translation layer.  So, you're probably still out of luck.  When I had to use my Visioneer scanner I did it though a Windows virtual machine.  My Brother multifunction machine has drivers for Linux.  It seems that scanners and non-postscript/PCL/HP/Brother printers are still not very well supported in Linux because many of them use complicated, non-standard, proprietary drivers that are only available for Windows and maybe OS X.  I bought my Brother multifunction machine because it was on sale and because it specifically has Linux support.  HP also has excellent Linux support.  If you only need to scan a few things you might want to just go to a copy shop; otherwise you might want to look into buying/acquiring a different scanner.

Matt