[UFO Chicago] Linux netbooks recommendation

Randall Thompson randall.thompson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 26 15:51:39 PDT 2009

Brian, I don't have a netbook but I researched them for a friend.
TechRepublic http://techrepublic.com.com/ and ZDNet have run several
articles on netbooks. A recent article discussed how many people are
disappointed by netbooks because they were expecting the functionality and
power of a full featured laptop, and not just a very portable device to
check email and browse the internet. Here are two articles you may find
useful:

10 things you should look for in a netbook
http://i.techrepublic.com.com/downloads/dl_10_things_netbook.pdf

The Acer Aspire One netbook
http://i.t.com.com/i/tr/downloads/home/mkaelin_geek_2008_acer_aspireone.pdf

http://usa.asus.com/
Asus advertises its Eee PC 900 "The GNU Linux version provides an intuitive
user interface to accommodate both experienced and inexperienced PC users.
With over 40 built-in applications, it offers dynamic computing to learn,
work and play; while a fast boot-up time makes it ideal for quick Internet
access while waiting for public transport or taking notes on-the-go."

If you find an older 'standard' laptop... I am running Ubuntu 9.04 on an
older system and it runs beautifully.

- Ran Thompson