[UFO Chicago] Linux netbooks recommendation

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Sun Jul 26 14:59:57 PDT 2009

Has anyone tried a Linux netbook they would recommend?

My primary computer is a work laptop that I am not terribly comfortable
using for personal projects.  Not to mention the massive overheard of
scanning, anti-virus, logging utilities etc make the start-up and shutdown
time appallingly bad.

Having a very lightweight computer for personal projects, particularly one
that includes the standard Unix toolkit, is appealing.

It seems that Acer is one of the more popular brands, but every place I've
looked online (think major retail outlets) highlights in great detail that
"Big Box store recommends Windows Vista Home Edition"

Surely there's something better?