[UFO Chicago] two things I stumbled upon about patents worth reading/listening to

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Sun Sep 7 19:27:22 PDT 2008

Hi --

Two links with some thoughts on patents that I enjoyed today
and thought some of you on this list might too.

This article from the NY Times explains how patents at the
university might be hurting scientific development:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/technology/07unbox.html

This podcast from last month features an interview with Ward
Cunningham, the guy who wrote the first software for a wiki.
It focuses a lot on Wikipedia, but I admire that they
interviewed him instead of the guy who heads the Wikipedia
foundation.

The interview is less about programming and more about the
cultural & social aspects of Wikis.

(The site lets you stream in horrific RealMedia, I get the
podcast for the program where you can listen to an mp3 if
that's more appropriate for you.)

show link:
http://www.wpr.org/book/080810a.html

podcast link: