[UFO Chicago] Other meeting follow-ups (was The Curfew Tolls)

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Sun Dec 14 10:37:09 PST 2008

On Fri, December 12, 2008 12:51 am, Jay F Shachter wrote:

  <snip>

>... but sometime during the course of the evening, the
> conversation briefly turned to a story by Stephen Vincent Benét called
> "The Curfew Tolls".  You can read it in about 10 minutes.  It was
> first published in, I think, The Saturday Evening Post, in 1935, but
> it has been reprinted in many story collections.  In fact, it was one

The follow-ups I had promised involved the following:

Ray Ozzie interview in Wired.  Lots of Microsoft blather, but the
discussion of the Plato system in 1973 is kind of interesting.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/16-12/ff_ozzie?currentPage=all

This article had me wondering how recent advances in touch screen user
interfaces might change computing.  It isn't necessarily new -- I remember
using a touch-screen in the Downer's Grove library in 1982 -- but I think
the iPhone is opening up minds to the possibility of something different
from KVM tools.

Also, I found this discussion of the sub-prime crisis by Michael Lewis to
be fantastic and very much worth the time to read it.

http://www.portfolio.com/news-markets/national-news/portfolio/2008/11/11/The-End-of-Wall-Streets-Boom