[UFO Chicago] The Curfew Tolls

Jay F Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Thu Dec 11 22:51:26 PST 2008

This has nothing to do with free operating systems (which is unusual,
because most of our discussions are devoted exclusively to free
operating systems), but sometime during the course of the evening, the
conversation briefly turned to a story by Stephen Vincent Benét called
"The Curfew Tolls".  You can read it in about 10 minutes.  It was
first published in, I think, The Saturday Evening Post, in 1935, but
it has been reprinted in many story collections.  In fact, it was one
of the 50 selected in "50 Great Short Stories".  It also appears in
"Thirteen-O'Clock", a collection of 13 stories by Benét, in "Selected
Prose", a larger collection of Benét's stories, and in various other
collections.  Ask your friendly librarian for it.

			Jay F. Shachter
			6424 N Whipple St
			Chicago IL  60645-4111
				(1-773)7613784
				jay at m5.chicago.il.us
				http://m5.chicago.il.us

			"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"