[UFO Chicago] create your own fortune db?

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Sat Oct 13 08:46:45 PDT 2007

Brian Sobolak:
> As part of a project I'm completing, I would like to create my own
> fortune database to populate with quotes I've collected.  Has anyone
> ever come across a fortune howto?  My searches have been unsuccessful.

There's not much to it.  Separate your fortunes with "\n%\n" and run
strfile on the fortune file to generate the index.  The FHS location
that the fortune program looks in these days is
/usr/share/games/fortunes/.

My system has the fortune files up for browsing on the Web:

	http://zork.net/~sneakums/fortunes/

--
Man, I love how everyone is like "In my blog, which is       Nick Moffitt
a blog on the Internet, which you all may be interested     nick at zork.net