[UFO Chicago] Patent reform & link from last meeting

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Mon Mar 12 21:43:36 PDT 2007

I forget where I came across this today, but I thought some of you might
  appreciate this interview with a head honcho at the US PTO office.
His take on the current patent situation is that it needs tweaked, not
completely rethought.

Whether you agree with the patent system as is or not, the PTO is going
to be hiring like mad to reduce the backlog of patents.  They are
looking to hire 1,000 patent analysts a year for the next few years.  So
there are going to be a lot of people looking at patents.

<http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=4562>

Also, here is the link to Tim O'Reilly's essay about Web 2.0 that we
discussed at the last meeting.  This link is for the printable version
so it has fewer ads and is actually readable.  This goes WAY beyond just
calling websites with fancy Javascript "web 2.0" and talks about some of
the trends we're seeing in software.

My standard:  when Peoplesoft and SAP deploy some of what he's talking
about here, then I'll *know* it's a trend.  :^)

<http://www.oreillynet.com/lpt/a/6228>