Stupid OSS names (was Re: [UFO Chicago] alternatives to mailman?)

Jordan Bettis jordanb at hafd.org
Mon Jun 4 21:43:21 PDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 12:06:06PM -0500, Neil R. Ormos wrote:

> I think I agree with Larry.  Most KDE names (other
> than Konqueror), even if not completely
> descriptive, are at least reminiscent of the
> function performed by the program.  "Enemies of
> Carlotta" is misdescriptive.  It brings to mind a
> video game starring an animated Angelina Jolie.

Where is it written in the book of Unix that names have to be
descriptive, or even "reminiscent." Does 'biff' conjure images of
checking a mailbox? Heck, majordomo, what the f*ck is that? Does it
involve marching bands?

One of the perks of starting a free software project is you get to
name it whatever you damn well please. And one of the perks of writing
a piece of software that will be chosen or not by geeks (who know how
to use google) is that a project will not be accepted or rejected on
the merits of its name. In fact, I think there's some advantage to
having oddball names as it would cause people who see it in package
lists are more likely to investigate it.

That said, I think the only thing I can think of more Finnish-nerd
than naming your free software project after a quote from a Steve
Martin movie is trying to set the record straight about sword-wielding
blond chicks --- and offering to sell prints off of your bubblejet
printer.

--
Jordan Bettis -- Chicago Il.
  <http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us>