[UFO Chicago] might be a bit late to tonight's meeting

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Feb 11 17:33:28 PST 2007

On Sunday 11 February 2007 6:17 pm, Richard Lynch wrote:

> I don't even know what the pundits are trying to claim is the problem.
>
> I was merely pointing out another theoretical possible scenario to the
> narrow-minded supply/demand view.
>
> Last I heard, there was a lot of dark fiber, but we were still stuck
> with that "last mile" that by scale and scope is too expensive with
> current technology / processes / infrastructure.
>
> Whether you call the problem "money" or "physics" is a bit of a
> semantics issue, at that point...
>
> But that was a couple years ago, which is a long time in 'net time.
>
> I don't even understand why you wouldn't just run fiber to the house,
> and sell enough fiber-RJ45 devices to make it financially viable.
>
> Seems to me that the gear price has almost nothing to do with raw
> materials, and everything to do with number of units moving.  So make
> enough of the dang things and the price will be in reach of most
> households and it's problem solved. :-)
>
> I fully expect this post to be met with derision and flames, but
> little in the way of substantive discussion.  Sorry.
>
> I don't actually claim to know what I'm talking about, for the record.

Last I checked, fiber optic cable cost LESS per mile than copper wire.  Fiber
optic cable terminators, however, cost dramatically more than RJ-45
terminators.  That's why you don't run fiber in your house.  The cable could
cost less, but the NIC would be 10x as expensive.

And of course there's always that "lack of competition" issue, but we won't
get into that.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012