[UFO Chicago] might be a bit late to tonight's meeting

Richard Lynch ceo at l-i-e.com
Sun Feb 11 16:17:40 PST 2007

On Sun, February 11, 2007 4:16 am, Ruben Safir wrote:
>> Or, if the demand is there, but we can't deliver more bandwidth
>> without violating the laws of physics, some companies that were
>> betting on more bandwidth are gonna go under.
>
> Are you implying that the law of physics is preventing us from
> providing
> enough bandwidth to satisfy the needs of the public over the next 20
> years?

No.

I don't even know what the pundits are trying to claim is the problem.

I was merely pointing out another theoretical possible scenario to the
narrow-minded supply/demand view.

Last I heard, there was a lot of dark fiber, but we were still stuck
with that "last mile" that by scale and scope is too expensive with
current technology / processes / infrastructure.

Whether you call the problem "money" or "physics" is a bit of a
semantics issue, at that point...

But that was a couple years ago, which is a long time in 'net time.

I don't even understand why you wouldn't just run fiber to the house,
and sell enough fiber-RJ45 devices to make it financially viable.

Seems to me that the gear price has almost nothing to do with raw
materials, and everything to do with number of units moving.  So make
enough of the dang things and the price will be in reach of most
households and it's problem solved. :-)

I fully expect this post to be met with derision and flames, but
little in the way of substantive discussion.  Sorry.

I don't actually claim to know what I'm talking about, for the record.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?