[UFO Chicago] RCN cable?

Simo Leone simo at archlinux.org
Mon Apr 30 18:50:49 PDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 12:22:00PM -0500, Brian Sobolak wrote:

> I know this has come up before, but does anyone have experience with RCN cable
> connectivity?  Recommend?  Hate?

I've got RCN for TV and Internet right now. Some ports are blocked on
internet, for instance anything outgoing to port 25 (yeah that one's
annoying to work around, luckily many places have port 587 open for mail
too), no incoming on port 80 unless you buy a higher tier service... and
I think a couple others that I haven't bumped into yet. The service has
been stable with speeds as advertised.

The TV is uh...cable TV, not much else to it. Haven't tried calling any
of their support lines, so no experiences there.

Overall, it's just been working so far, switched from comcast a few
months ago to save some cash on the "new" customer deals, wouldn't
hesitate to bounce back if it looks advantageous in the future.

-Simo