[UFO Chicago] Comcast Cuts Off Bandwidth Hogs

sten lists at redboy.cx
Sat Apr 7 14:29:55 PDT 2007

>Ok, my tale gets more Kafka-esque.  And now reminds everyone why Comcast
>probably sucks.

I ordered over the phone because with my condo association, I had to jump
through a couple hoops to be sure I got the bundling discount; I don't
recall them asking for my SSN, though I could be dumb and desensitized
and maybe I just don't remember it.

Anyway, my fun came when I had to activate the line- there's no PPPoE or
anything weird, but there's some magic they have to do, I think to
register your modem's MAC address on their side. This was a few months
ago, so the details are sketchy in my mind, I just remember having to
bust out the work laptop, because (of course) their automated process
requires Windows and IE, which also wants to go through and install AV
software, their customized/branded/screwed-with version of IE, and
probably a bunch of other trash. After all that, the automated install
still failed, and I had to call Comcast and read off my MAC address over
the phone. Fun!

The lesson: just call, sit on hold, get the human, and have them deal
with it.

Sten