[UFO Chicago] Comcast Cuts Off Bandwidth Hogs

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Thu Apr 5 18:01:21 PDT 2007

sten wrote:

> On 4/5/2007, "Neil Ormos H" <ormos at ripco.com> wrote:
>
>> -> Comcast Cuts Off Bandwidth Hogs
>>
>> -> The telecom giant is warning customers to avoid
>> -> excessive bandwidth consumption or risk being
>> -> disconnected for up to a year. [...]

<snip>

> Now, they're already killing my analog TV line, which will keep me from
> using MythTV's PVR capability, and limits me to a single cable TV
> connection unless I rent more nasty cable boxen, so if they wanna give
> me an excuse to cut them out completely and go back to DSL, I'm all
> ears.

It's funny that this has just come up.  I *just* hung up the phone with
Speakeasy support.  Considering I've learned that part of why I'm not
getting what I pay for bandwidth-wise on DSL is because I'm further from
  the CO than they recommend, I was thinking about switching to Comcast.

I want municipal wi-fi in Chicago for a) a cheap backup to my existing
connection and b) a way to scare a bit of price competition into the
existing broadband providers.  <sigh>