[UFO Chicago] Comcast Cuts Off Bandwidth Hogs

sten lists at redboy.cx
Thu Apr 5 16:23:27 PDT 2007

On 4/5/2007, "Neil Ormos H" <ormos at ripco.com> wrote:

>-> Comcast Cuts Off Bandwidth Hogs
>
>-> The telecom giant is warning customers to avoid
>-> excessive bandwidth consumption or risk being
>-> disconnected for up to a year. [...]

This is interesting, and unfortunate if true, but I'm backing up my
Linode to my home PC on Comcast every day. A full backup bzipped at the
Linode is about 700MB currently, and I pull that down once a week. My
daily diff backups are 40-80MB bzipped. Combine that with occasional
Youtube freakouts, apt-get upgrade's, an always-on VPN connection
between Comcast and the Linode, about 1GB/week in podcast subscriptions
and prolly a ton more I've not thought of, I may not be in the top
0.1%, but I make good use of my connection and haven't heard anything
so far.

Now, they're already killing my analog TV line, which will keep me from
using MythTV's PVR capability, and limits me to a single cable TV
connection unless I rent more nasty cable boxen, so if they wanna give
me an excuse to cut them out completely and go back to DSL, I'm all
ears.