[UFO Chicago] just say no to netgear

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Mon Apr 2 18:53:51 PDT 2007

At the past few meetings I had complained about really slow speeds on
my DSL line.  I think I've figured out the problem:  it's not the DSL,
it's a bum netgear router.

Here's the results from ping for about an hour's worth of pings:

--
Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 1739, Received = 1369, Lost = 370 (21% loss),

Even for wireless, 21% loss seems pretty darn high.  This test was run
when I'm sitting about 15 feet from the router with nothing blocking
the line of sight.  And this is the *better* result of the two tests
I've tried.

I guess I'll be buying a new router soon, and I don't think it will be
a netgear.  This was only purchased last October.

Brian Sobolak
brian @ planetshwoop.com
http://www.planetshwoop.com/

"Bad taste is real taste, of course, and good taste is the residue of
someone else's privilege..."  -- David Hickey